Forum for Coastal Technologies (FCT)
1. FCT Terms of Reference
In Europe we have a high level of research in public and academic institutes, but this research doesn't always lead to instruments that are able to be used in an operational way. To give momentum, we must create (or make understandable) the value of the technology to the instrument user.
Companies need visibility to invest in the oceanographic market (which is a niche market). Looking outside our traditional technical and scientific environment, we see that many technologies could be suitable to develop new sensors. On the other hand, many instrument users don't have a sound knowledge of the available market.
In order to carry out an analysis of the above issues, JERICO organises a ‘Forum for Coastal Technologies (FCT)’. This forum aims to facilitate informal exchanges on scientific and technical topics related to the coastal environment. In particular it should :
- provide a strong interface between SMEs, industry, stakeholders and science & technology, e.g. by joint developments and technology transfer.
- provide a market intelligence tool, indicator of the tendencies/growth in the JERICO related market for instruments and services.
- seed a Euro-Act, based on the model and in close collaboration with the US-Alliance for Coastal Technologies (ACT) organisation.
- provide an unbiased third party test-bed for sensors and measuring systems.
- analyse the market, forecasting scientific and societal needs for new coastal observations.
- identify upcoming standards for quality assessment and for reducing equipment and maintenance costs, by exchanging ideas about best practices.
- sustain joint research and development initiatives on sensors and platforms.
For more information please read the "Terms of Reference" of Jerico Forum for coastal technologies here.
2. FCT Activites
FCT activities are:
- Online surveys, organisation and analysis to identify needs in coastal technologies.
- Workshops organisation to gather providers and users, to share their needs and feedback.
- In lab and in field experiments to share and discuss practices, discuss needs and feedback based on hands-on applications.
- Jerico Yellow pages
3. FCT Documents
4. FCT contact persons
FCT coordination: Yannick Aoustin (Ifremer) and Glenn Nolan (IMI)